Four distinct grades have been included in the REACH Registration for lead metal (EC: 231-100-4). Substance identity details and classification and labelling information can be found below:
- Lead metal massives (general grade)
- Lead metal massives (high purity grade)
- Lead metal massive (with arsenic)
- Lead metal powder
Uses of lead metal
Lead metal is used safely and sustainably in a wide range of applications, including:
- in the industrial production of lead-based automotive and industrial batteries,
- as internal sheathing in high-voltage cables,
- in radiation shielding for healthcare, laboratory, security scanning, and non-destructive test facilities,
- as weather protection in architectural applications,
- in free-machining steels, brasses, and aluminium alloys
- in industrial solders used in specialist electronics and electrical applications, and
- as an intermediate in the manufacture of lead compounds such as lead oxides.
Lead also plays an essential role in the Circular Economy, with its unique ability to facilitate energy-efficient recovery of many other non-ferrous metals and critical technology materials.
For Europe’s future, lead matters. Find out more at leadmatters.org.
A list of the Identified Uses included in the Consortium’s CSR, including the Use Descriptor Codes, may be found here. For more information, see the disseminated Registration dossier or contact us.